Video Gaming

PC, X-Box, Play Station 1/2/3, Game Cube, Dreamcast
hharris4earthlink
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Video Gaming

Postby hharris4earthlink » 06 Dec 2009, 19:23

From http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36903
Richard wrote:Then there are other games like Oblivion or World of Warcraft where a lot of time is spent running around so you are also taking in the scenery. The action that takes place is not twitch/reaction gaming but rather action/consequence gaming based on what spell or attack choices you have made versus the computer; far more of a observing role for the gamer. This type of gamer may very well want the best of all display worlds; high resolution, high frame rates and an eye filling view.

I think I'm probably in the latter category, probably influenced by how technology has evolved the very concept of a game. Frankly, and maybe it's my age, but I'm attracted much more to games that put me into a synthetic world as a movie would, but guided by my hands on the controller.

Even the making of the inserts that tell the story has become more film-like with the now common practice of creating a world that the director's "films" by walking around in an empty stage guided by his control of a virtual "camera' that shows his viewpoint in the synthetic world. Thus blends the idea of the user-guided game with the true role of a director who shows a particular viewpoint that advances the story.

Another development, which I personally find very exciting, is the idea of the "game" becoming more like a novel in subject and exposition. For example there's a new game coming out now about a real person who was a race car driver during WWII. The game sets you up in that role, with the same locations and elements, and most importantly of all, his real-life goal of sabotaging the Nazis. All this and in hi-def too. I love it!

Richard
SUPER VIP!

Postby Richard » 09 Dec 2009, 10:45

hharris4,

Sounds like RPG, role playing game, is up your alley. I like those too. A company that excels at this type of gaming is Bioware. Their Star Wars series in the past are legendary (and still worth the effort), the recent Mass Effect was widely hailed (sequel should be out now or out soon) and their newest venture is an MMORPG based on Star Wars (like World of Warcraft) due out next year.
Mastertech Repair Corporation
My Audio and Video Systems
"Inspect what you expect!" US Marine Corps

hharris4earthlink
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby hharris4earthlink » 09 Dec 2009, 16:25

Yes, I'm playing Bioware's Bioshock right now and lovin' it. I'm very disappointed that I won't be playing Mass Effect 2 since it sounds exactly like the type of game I'd love. Damn format wars! It's my son who has the X-Box. (At least I get to smirk every time he has to send it off for repair.) What does this have to do with HDTV I hear someone ask? Modern video games look great on my big HDTV. So there.

Richard
SUPER VIP!

Postby Richard » 10 Dec 2009, 07:11

Dragon Age: Origins recently came out too! Sounds like you never played Mass Effect 1...

Gaming is part and parcel of HDTV and we do have a forum for it.

Gaming for your HD System!
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=99

Appears what we don't have is many gamers on the site... :wink:

hharris4earthlink
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby hharris4earthlink » 11 Dec 2009, 17:23

Just took a look at your gaming site. Doesn't look like anybody's been there for a couple of years. What is your vision for this site? The intersection of the set "HD" and the set "video games" is fairly small taken literally, especially since games are mostly HD now. Reviews of HD games perhaps?

Richard
SUPER VIP!

Postby Richard » 13 Dec 2009, 11:21

I think you clicked the right link... It was not to a gaming site but to the gaming forum on this site. :wink:

Gaming has never been a popular topic at the site although in 2005 I provided some content to try and bring folks here. HD console gaming was a new concept and those looking for it had few choices. Sony figured out a way to get 1080i out of the PS2 for GT4 and while it wasn't great and only one title it was a huge step forward at the time, especially for those without a native 480p scan rate on their CRT RP. While the Xbox was HD capable it never amounted to much due to limited titles (it took the 360 to make that happen). PC gaming was already HD then and continues to provide the best performance envelope. On the flip side the Xbox 360 and PS3 are gobbling up game publishing talent creating games destined for these consoles which are then ported to the PC often times crippling game performance or creating PC operational problems; the game may play better overall on the HD console it was designed for.

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII - PC
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6287

Naturally I was concentrating on the performance aspects of gaming, promoting at least 480p and of course HD titles throwing in some quick game reviews to see if anybody would participate. I just removed an old link for a defunct rental company that was supporting HD titles for the original Xbox. Few of our members are gamers. After lengthy discussions back then with my performance gaming son who was frustrated with his gaming peers and their lack of performance concern I gave up (I still have a few still born gaming articles saved that were never finished for publishing). Videophiles are already rare and gaming videophiles are an endangered species. :lol:

I have always tried to provide forums for our members to express their excitement with HD content. The most successful was Now Playing for your HD System! That said, the risk of HDTV failure and promoting HDTV to the public to prevent that is what drove so much traffic to this site. The traffic here certainly parallels HDTV going from a new technology at risk of implosion to an everyday commodity, part and parcel of the cultural fabric.

These days the conversation is about new products and helping people find solutions to their HDTV problems. Not nearly as controversial of vocally inspiring as the HDTV revolution was! :wink:

Return to “Gaming for your HD System!”