difference between a HDTV and a lCD monitor

Threads to help you select the right display and viewing environment for your new HDTV experience.
thufana

difference between a HDTV and a lCD monitor

Postby thufana » 02 Aug 2013, 02:26

What is the difference between a HDTV and a lCD monitor? I have a normal flat screen tv, i am planning to buy a new HDTV or lcd monitor ( depending on which is better) . The only reason i will be using my display unit will be for gaming ( using my xbox 360). Any suggestiions on which is best for gaming?

Rodolfo
Author

Re: difference between a HDTV and a lCD monitor

Postby Rodolfo » 03 Aug 2013, 09:09

The name HDTV defines resolution capabilities (720p or 1080i/p) and today also tuning capabilities with an internal cable/over-the-air tuner. Before 2002 HDTVs started as just monitors and the tuners were separate boxes. LCD is a display technology that competes with Plasma, both can display HD resolution.

Since your idea is of having an "LCD monitor" it will not have a tuner but for your purpose of displaying video games your game console will feed the input of your LCD monitor well, and the LCD technology would be more appropriate for your purpose due to the risk of fixed images retention (scores, logos, etc. when showing games) you may ran with plasma, although today that is greatly minimized on plasma, which was and still is the technology that produces the best quality imaging of the two.

If you are looking for the best possible imaging and can control the light in the room then plasma is the best fit, but LCD, especially with LED lighting, would be a better fit otherwise.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra

rml

Re: difference between a HDTV and a lCD monitor

Postby rml » 03 Aug 2013, 13:16

Personally, I would consider an lcd for gaming use only if the room is super bright with no possibility of curtains and that's the only time you can play. I completely agree with Rodolfo's comments and would add that you should also be aware of lcd (tv or monitor) pixel response times (how fast the pixels turn off and on) and refresh rates (how many frames per second it displays).

If you decide on an lcd, most gamers want a <= 2ms response rate. Further, a low frame rate tv/monitor could throttle the graphics hardware. With game applications, higher frame rates and higher frame resolution both demand more machine graphics, compute and memory resources (regardless of your tv/monitor display) and will affect game speed and picture quality. Currently the best lcd tv frame rates max out at a true 240 frames per second (fps), (with lots of misleading manufacturer hype).

These issues are mostly moot, however, for the Xbox 360:
1) most games on the Xbox 360 system render frames at 30 fps and the Xbox then scales the frames to the display resolution;
2) 720p is the only feasible resolution to run an Xbox 360 at, as most games become unacceptably slow at 1080p resolution.

If you do get a 1080p monitor/tv, let it do the scaling, not the Xbox. A list of many Xbox 360 games' native resolutions can be found at: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Your decision will depend largely on your budget. If you can afford it, plan for the future and get a 1080p plasma tv (generally cheaper than a true monitor), put up with any lighting situation you cannot correct, and save up for a game machine that can tax the plasma screen; otherwise, I would recommend looking for either a Samsung or Panasonic 720p plasma tv which are a steal compared to the same sized 1080p sets. I say Samsung (slightly better in brighter lighting) and Panasonic (slightly better in low lighting) because I have personal experience with them and would recommend them. Rodolfo has experience with many more manufacturers and may well have better brand recommendations.

Return to “Getting Started with HDTV and DTV”