Living with 4K: 4K Content, when? (Part 2)

This forum is for the purpose of providing a place for registered users to comment on and discuss Articles.
Rodolfo
Author

Living with 4K: 4K Content, when? (Part 2)

Postby Rodolfo » 30 Oct 2012, 07:27

On the first article of this series I discussed about getting a 4K consumer projector as an early adopter. I also introduced UHDTV and discussed 4K and 8K image resolutions. In this part 2 article I will discuss how one can start enjoying the capabilities of a 4K display, even without 4K content.

Not having 4K content available now does not render a 4K display useless, the same as HDTVs without much content in 1998/9 were questioned, with just a few HD loops and no Blu-ray until 8 years later.

Read Article

michaelharris

Re: Living with 4K: 4K Content, when? (Part 2)

Postby michaelharris » 08 Nov 2012, 09:44

This note is about 4K / Ultra HD content. Perhaps you can help guide me the right direction. I need an introduction to manufacturers of 4K / Ultra HD monitors/TVs.

Why? My start up video production studio has produced 50 hours of atypically decorative, photorealistic 4K / Ultra HD programming.

Very likely, manufacturers of 4K / Ultra HD monitors/TVs, would be interested in demonstrating my atypically decorative, photorealistic motion graphics video programs.

The display appearance of my 4K/Ultra HD decorative movies is graphically superior to movies recorded with movie cameras.

Why? The graphic Ultra HD appeal of the style of movies I make, derives from the different way the movies are created.
1) The photorealistic decorative digital data animated in my programs is digitally recorded on an unusual, extremely high resolution flat bed scanner.
2) The scanner records single, gigabyte dimension scale, still image frames as pure, uncompressed 16 bit data files.
3) Using animation software, the pure scan data is animated into 60 FPS uncompressed master video files, LARGE digital files.
4) Manufacturers of 4K / Ultra HD monitors/TVs require sublime quality content.
(My studios’ style of movies is atypical. The movies are produced digitally using motion graphics software to animate high resolution digital scans of photorealistic chromolithograph images. Animated into video, zooming from a macro scale to magnified close-up scale, invisible details materialize as abstract decorative imagery, especially appealing at 4K / Ultra HD resolution.)

https://vimeo.com/52892170 is a freely downloadable, 3840x2160p MP4, 12 Mbit/s, 182 Mb video clip. It’s a new, narrower bit rate compression than two other, earlier 4K video clips, also available for download. The earlier two art print animation video demos are 4K, at 50 Mbit/s(four times the bit rate of this demo clip); one of the earlier 4K clips depicts an 1825 British printed image of Crocus flowers, and the other 50 Mbit/s clip, is a scan animation detail of an Arab design decorating a 16th C. Qur’an(Koran) Islamic religious manuscript, scanned from an image printed around 1870 in France.

Would you take a look, at least at https://vimeo.com/52892170 for me, on a 4K display? If you think it is justified, for the quality, would you help me find a manufacturer of 4K / Ultra HD monitors/TVs to agree to demo my content, no charge, complimentary, at CES, 2013, in January?

Many thanks,

Michael Harris
Vimeo.com/visualambrosia
contact@visualambrosia

Rodolfo
Author

Displays/manufacturer possibilities for your U-HD content

Postby Rodolfo » 08 Nov 2012, 11:24

Michael,

I assume it may be a bit late for such arrangement for CES 2013 (in two months) but below you have the list of current 4K consumer products. It would be ideal if you can also produce a faster moving 4K video in addition to the stills-with-moving-camera samples you linked to.

As I mention in my article Sony has the true 4K consumer projector and several other 4K projectors for local cinemas, it displays Ultra-HD (3840x2160, newly defined by the CEA) and also 4K DCI 4096x2160, and accepts both sources.

Sony also released an Ultra-HD 84" LCD panel which is currently demoed at Sony stores, and LG introduced an 84" Ultra-HD LCD panel as well, both appear to be from the same source, both with 3D passive implementations, which is a new for Sony (all of their other implementations of 3D are active-shutter), but 3D passive is the bread-and-butter of LG Display.

Expect other manufacturers to introduce true 4K and Ultra HD at CES, and perhaps at next CES (2014) Ultra HD OLED panels, that will be an eye opener, not the current 4K LCD based panels which although they are well detailed with the higher resolution they are still weak with the angle-of-view limitations of LCD (LED lighted or not).

Meridian has also a 4K projector (810 Reference) and SiM2 has the Cinemaquatro DLP projector. While JVC projectors display 4K precision (actually Ultra HD precision) with their e-shift chip technology to display 1080p sources, their projectors do not accept 4K/Ultra HD so they could not use your 4K content, for now, but keep an eye on them, it was obvious to me that they will eventually release true Ultra HD projectors and the "Precision" introduction of the current models was to fill a gap in the market, with half pricing (compared to Sony's true 4K projector) and no-4K content available.

However, JVC just announced in September 2012 the PS-840UD (professional) and RS-840UD (reference) monitors with 3840x2160 Ultra HD to become available in Jan 2013, both for under $20K and accepting 4K input sources, so they may be interested in your 4K content for their demos of those two as well.

The thread of the Sony 4K projector owners at the AVSforum may help you introduce your product among consumers, many owners were interested in obtaining 4K content to display the best of their projectors; to what I can recall there was one nature 4K clip offered for about $100, which one needs a capable computer to play.

Good luck.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra

alice
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby alice » 08 Nov 2012, 14:24

Thank you for starting an informative series on the current use of 4k and potential directions

Much appreciated

alacritymedia

Postby alacritymedia » 01 Feb 2013, 10:28

As noted in Rodolfo's series, content distribution is moving away from physical media to IP delivery models. He also notes, accurately and sadly, that over-compression has become standard practice for MSOs trying to maximize profit. This puts us at risk of a UHD environment that fumbles its potential and, more critically to the CE industry, fails to impress potential buyers.

The RedRay and Sony servers may both land around 20mb/s in their delivery codecs but I anticipate the RedRay will provide substantially better image quality. Why? In the case of HEVC/H.265 the codec design needs to accommodate low cost decoding hardware as well as reasonably fast encoding for widespread adoption. OTOH, RED's priority is image quality. IMO, they looked at the end to end eco-system and realized there wasn't much they could do to accelerate bandwidth increases across the globe - so what could they control?

Create a codec that requires a lot of horsepower and/or time to encode and dedicated ASICs for decode so that 20mb/s can carry serious quality. While I agree with the contention that people buying $25,000 panels/projectors aren't going to balk at $1,450 for decoder/server hardware, that is only a sliver of the market the CE companies hope to attract to UHD devices over the next few years. Will people pay more for better IQ?

What remains to be seen is how many content rights holders are going to play ball with RED and Odemax.

Cheers - Blair S Paulsen, 4K Ninja

Rodolfo
Author

Postby Rodolfo » 01 Feb 2013, 13:41

Thanks Blair for your contribution.

Since the article was published a few of my predictions actually happened:

A) HEVC was just approved last week, so we can now fit 4K in the 20Mbps we use for HD, same Mbps as REDRAY's efficiency, however, a quality comparison between HEVC and .RED is still to be determined. I have seen HEVC against MPEG-4 many times side-by-side and there is no contest, HEVC is 50% more efficient and still provides a noticeable image improvement. Looking back, MPEG-4 was 50% more efficient than MPEG-2 of current HD, and now HEVC is another 50% efficient compared to MPEG-4, so there is an "on the surface" savings of HEVC over MPEG-2 of 1/4 total, which in theory should fit 4K without increasing bandwidth over what we use currently for HD, if there is anyone left that still uses 19.4 Mbps in the 6MHz for a single HD channel.

B) CES was filled with 4K displays of many sizes from many manufacturers, still based in LCD technology though, LCD is not my cup of tea as quality display technology, but the 4K displays were shown all the way to 110 inches, from now 55 inches, and they were all over the place as I anticipated. Watch China, and their prices comparably low.

C) Sony and Panasonic actually surprised my expectations when showing 4K OLEDs at CES, which I was hoping for CES 2014. Pricing and availability was not disclosed but the quality of the Sony was the best display at CES, against CNET award choice of best of show, which process is not very reliable as we know for the last events with the Hopper and CBS. You can consider my award as reliable as this magazine was for decades. Sony was the best and an article is coming with the details.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra

Return to “Article Commentary & Discussion”